Here is a recipe that reminds me of my childhood – memories of farmers wives kitchens and soft creamy butterfly cakes – oh heaven …
- 125g butter (room temperature – slightly softened)
- 180g caster sugar
- 185g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- grated lemon zest (1 lemons worth)
- 200ml of whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- extra icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C (315F) – line a 12 hole muffin tray with with paper cases.
- To make the cakes – add all the ingredients together into a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until combined (how easy is that) beat for 2 mins until pale in colour.Spoon mixture into the cases and bake for 20-30 mins until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make the topping – whip the cream, sugar + vanilla in a bowl until lightly thickened.
- Slice the rounded top of each of the cakes – making a slight indentation in the cake – and cut this top in half to make the wings. Dollop a little of cream into the crevice and place the little wings on top and dust with powdered sugar.
These are so light and tempting and delicious – too too yummy