Alternative party bags

May 18, 2012

For my 12 year old’s (second) birthday party this year, I was commissioned to make a double layer marble cake filled with vanilla cream. It was actually incredibly delicious and light (I adapted a sponge cake recipe instead of making a butter cake). And for a different kind of treat bag I made giant chocolate chip cookies.

What do you do for the party bag? - do you have one at all – it seems to be such an expectation and each bag is bigger and badder than the next. Full of artificial colours and additives and the sugar! As if there was not enough sugary treats at the party already.

I don’t know about you but I am so sick of the treat bags full of junk – so I decided to take a stand and giving out giant cookies turned out to be a huge hit! They were much loved and admired by all.

Make edible party favours – you know they are just good old fashioned treats – without a single additive that you wouldn’t eat yourself. Give them a cupcake or giant cookie to take home ;; here some recipes to try:

Giant chewy choc chip cookies :: Cookies in a jar :: Nicely packaged cookie bars.

What do you do for the ubiquitous party bag?

Want more?:

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Lola Nova May 18, 2012 at 1:49 am

I am not a fan of the party bag. For the last 2 years we have done a craft/art project at the party and their prize to take home is what they have made. It seems to be a hit, but they are young still. Last year was masks and this year was make your own book.
Like the cookie idea!

Anna May 18, 2012 at 8:11 am

For a beach party for two year olds, they all had bubbles and a toy to play with on the beach which they then took home. For the latest 6 year old party for a girl and boy, we did den building in some woods we have access to. The plan was to make feather and leaf headdresses out of found items and bow and arrows to take home. They were having too much fun den building and toasting marshmallows, to get on to the headdresses and the bow and arrows were lethal, so we made just a couple to keep at the woods. (the parents would not have thanked us if they went home). So they went home with nothing, no complaints at all just comments on what a great party.

Abbington May 19, 2012 at 5:13 am

For my son’s party one year, we all made stormtrooper helmets (from the instructions on the Powerhouse Museum website), and the kids took these home. Then last year, for a Harry Potter party, I made Hogwarts ‘house’ t-shirts, by using iron-on transfers on plain tees to divide the kids into groups for games, and they took these home instead of party bags. A friend had a ‘cooking party’ for her daughter, and the kids took home a jar of ‘cookie mix’ to make at home (you know, the ingredients layered in a jar, and you just add egg/butter)

Lisa July 27, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I too abhor loot bags filled with stuff from the dollar store. I understand why parents do it (easy), but the stuff ends up broken in the trash within a day (and it’s almost always non-recylclable).

Like one poster above, I prefer the kids make something crafty and take it home as their loot (maybe with a small chocolate bar). For the past few parties, the kids decorated pillowcases and took them home. Who doesn’t use a pillowcase?

Ideally the idea of birthday loot would disappear and simply having fun at a party would be enough. Same goes with birthday gifts at kids’ parties – too much stuff! I like those parties where guests are asked to forgo a gift, but maybe instead give a dollar or two. Then the birthday child can buy one or two nice things afterward (and learn about how money works).

Michele July 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm

When I was a kid, we would always have a craft we did at a birthday party. There weren’t really any party bags involved. These days, I would encourage parents to build a party bag using paper lunch sacks, and fill them with healthy snacks and something creative, like a mini colored pencil set and a pad of paper. How many noise makers and mini kaleidoscopes do kids need?

Tricia July 28, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Giant cookies are a great idea.
The kids toook home a little baby bulb in soil at my daughters last birthday: http://www.littleecofootprints.com/2012/05/little-ecos-real-farm-birthday-party.html. And at a previous farm party I helped out with, the kids took home a little bag of sunflower seeds they collected from a sunflower head. I like the idea of matching the take-home gift with the seasons.

Previous post: